Earth Science News
DISASTER MANAGEMENT
US to deploy nearly 3,000 additional troops to southern border
US to deploy nearly 3,000 additional troops to southern border
by AFP Staff Writers
Washington (AFP) Mar 1, 2025

The United States will deploy nearly 3,000 additional troops to its border with Mexico, bringing the total number of active-duty personnel there to around 9,000, the US military said Saturday.

Border security is a key priority for President Donald Trump, who declared a national emergency at the US frontier with Mexico on his first day in office.

"Approximately 2,400 soldiers from elements of the 2nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team (SBCT), 4th Infantry Division" will be sent to the border, along with "approximately 500 soldiers from the 3rd Combat Aviation Brigade," US Northern Command (NORTHCOM) said in a statement.

The Stryker unit "will not conduct or be involved in interdiction or deportation operations," it said, but rather will assist in detection and monitoring, administrative duties and transportation and engineering support, among other tasks.

Troops from the aviation unit will meanwhile "assist in the movement of personnel, equipment, and supplies; and provide aerial medical evacuation capabilities," NORTHCOM said.

"These deployments will bring additional agility and capability to further efforts to stop the flow of illegal migrancy and drugs at the southern border," its commander, General Gregory Guillot said.

- Trump says 'invasion' is over -

The Trump administration has launched what it cast as a major effort to combat illegal migration that has included immigration raids, arrests and deportations.

Trump on Saturday hailed his administration's border security efforts, posting on his Truth Social platform that "the Invasion of our Country is OVER."

"Thanks to the Trump Administration Policies, the Border is CLOSED to all Illegal Immigrants. Anyone who tries to illegally enter the U.S.A. will face significant criminal penalties and immediate deportation," the president wrote.

Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth visited the southern frontier at the beginning of last month, vowing that "we are going to get control of this border."

He warned drug cartels that "all options are on the table," after Trump signed an executive order in January that said they "constitute a national security threat beyond that posed by traditional organized crime."

Hegseth also said that "any assets necessary" from the Defense Department will be used to support "the expulsion and detention of those in our country illegally," including the US base at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba.

Trump unveiled a surprise plan last month to hold up to 30,000 migrants at the base -- a facility notorious for abuses against terror suspects detained after the September 11, 2001 attacks -- and US forces have held dozens of people there in recent weeks, many of whom have since been deported.

Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters
Tweet

RELATED CONTENT
The following news reports may link to other Space Media Network websites.
DISASTER MANAGEMENT
ESA Red Cross alliance advances crisis response
Paris, France (SPX) Feb 24, 2025
The European Space Agency (ESA) in collaboration with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has signed a Memorandum of Intent to leverage space technology for global humanitarian aid. The alliance merges ESA's space expertise with ICRC's humanitarian reach to develop innovative solutions that support communities impacted by disasters and conflicts in Europe and beyond. In crisis situations, especially in fragile and conflict-affected regions, providing accurate information and reliab ... read more

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Tens of thousands rally against leader of flood-hit Spain region

UK minister resigns over overseas aid cut

US to deploy nearly 3,000 additional troops to southern border

ESA Red Cross alliance advances crisis response

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
UN says new plastics pollution talks set for August

China to build longest bridge in Central Asia

Indonesian nickel producer to build $1.8 bn plant

Ukraine, US agree to terms of minerals, reconstruction deal

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Melting ice could slow vital Antarctic ocean current: study

Thai court accepts invasive fish case against food giant

Climate crisis revives Soviet hydro plan in Central Asia

Swedish police open 'sabotage' probe over Gotland water supply damage

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Study reveals how Earth's orbit controls ice ages

Giant ice sheets shaped Earth's evolution by altering ocean chemistry

'All eyes on Arctic': Canada boosts its northern force

'All eyes on Arctic': Canada boosts its northern force

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Plan B: Pakistan beekeepers widen pursuit of flowers

China says to impose fresh tariffs on US agricultural imports

Vietnam drags feet over 'urgent' pollution problem

Cognac on the rocks: industry seeks French govt help from Chinese tariffs

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Rare tropical cyclone swirls off eastern Australia

Niger's 2024 floods killed 400, affected 1.5 mn: toll

Shifting tales renew pressure on Spain flood region leader

Cyclone death toll rises to four on La Reunion

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Ugandan army deploys to town in northeast DR Congo

UN authorises evacuation of staff families from Burundi

Jihadist ambush kills 11 soldiers in north Niger

UN requests $2.5 billion for DRC humanitarian plan

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Earliest evidence of human habitation in rainforests uncovered

Pentagon orders removal of pro-diversity online content

The quest to extend human life is both fascinating and fraught with moral peril

New play takes on OpenAI drama and AI's existential questions

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.